Okay, so starting off, yes this is the first of the unique magical lores posts that I'm looking to do. Before it was the generic lores and the ones that multiple races had access to like High Magic and Dark Magic. Now however, we go into the faction unique lores, and as I like to do things alphabetically of course we're going with the Beastmen and the Lore of the Wilds. So let's get dangerous, let's get some shit done!
Lore Attribute;
None!
Yes, this is an older book dating from the way back when before GW actually used colored ink when making their books. As a result, this 7th edition shiny turd has no lore attribute and as a side note it has no boosted versions for it's spells or spell types. Just something to note before we get into this.
Signature Spell; Bestial Surge
On a 7+ this spell allows all units within 6" to move up D6+1", roll separately for each unit effected by this spell. You must move towards the closest enemy unit applying the usual penalties for terrain, wheeling, etc. If there are no visible enemies, just move your units forward. Units will stop if they come within 1" of another unit. Fleeing units are not effected by this spell. So, this spell is actually really nice, it's one of the few times I will say that in this post. Yes, it does seem a little limited in it's range and in it's flexability, but here's the thing to remember. Beastmen are an offensive army. They have almost as much shooting in their army as most VC do and thus they are reliant in closing with the enemy as quickly as is possible. This spell allows you to do that, and it does it very well if you're running a tight battle-line. There's not too much left in obsolete-hammer (as I call it now) that lets you move units after the movement phase. As a result, this spell is kind of nice. I give it a 4 out of 5 and a recommendation to swap for it, quite, quite often.
Spell #1: Viletide
... I now see where they got the idea for Flock of Doom. On a 9+, the targeted enemy unit within 24" takes 5D6 S1 hits.Remember the Dark Elves lore attribute for Dark Magic? Well, this is kind of like that, but a spell, and somewhat better. I understand what this spell is intended to do, but countering chaff is actually one of the few good things the Beastmen can do. I guess if you're into horde builds, then this spell can be useful because 5D6 is a lot of dice and 6's are inevitable at that point. Use it to clear chaff and maybe target a war machine crew or something. I give it a 2 out of 5 and recommendation to look at what your opponent is bringing before you take this spell.
Spell #2: Devolve
All enemy units within 12" must take a Leadership test and suffers a number of wounds equal to the amount they failed the test by and no armor saves may be taken against these wounds. This spell is actually pretty nice. And here's why, Beastmen have a lot of Leadership shennanigans they can play and they have access to Shadow and Death magic, which have a lot of spells that can drop Leadership like a hot rock. Now, it is a very specific build, but it can be devastating. My Beastmen buddy Will is a master of using this spell, and I can certainly understand why. Beastmen do not handle tarpits very well, and this spell can certainly help pop that horde of Night Goblins or Skaven Slaves very quickly. Against some armies its not going to do much, but it's also a bubble spell, so again, it's really good at taking out chaff. Good spell, somewhat situational, I give it a 3 out of 5, with a recommendation to keep it if you roll it up.
Spell #3: Bray Scream
A 10+ makes your caster, or any other character within 12", immediately use a breath weapon that has S3 and no armor saves allowed against it. This spell is actually pretty nice because it ignores armor saves and much like Devolve, it can help scythe through large hordes of core infantry. Unlike Devolve, it doesn't require a lot of synergy, it's kind of a stand alone spell. And to be honest, it's actually a really damn good spell to have. I give it a 4 out 5 and a recommendation to keep this one of you roll for it.
Spell #4: Traitor-Kin
With the same casting value as the previous spell, this spell is perhaps the most situationally hilarious spell out there. all enemy models within 12" of this spell riding a mount of any kind, including monster with handlers, chariots, cavalry, monstrous cavalry, etc., will suffer hits equal to the number of attacks and Strength of the mount. Any armor bonuses for being mounted and/or barding do not apply to these hits. Against Bretonnia or any other cavalry heavy army this spell is evil. This is also a great way to neutralize those Monsterous cavalry units that Beastmen really have no answer to. Arguably the best spell in this lore. I give it a 4 out of 5 due to its limitations but it can be an absolute barrel of monkeys.
Spell #5: Mantle of Ghorok
On a 13+ you get to give a friendly unit, including himself, +D6 Strength and Attacks (still maxes out at 10) until the end of the enemy's turn. Sounds great, right? Yeah, here it comes If you roll 6s the model suffers a wound with no saves possible. This spell again reinforces the idea of taking Lore of Beasts. Potentially awesome, but very risky. I give it a 3 out of 5 and a potential for it to go totally wrong.
Spell #6: Savage Dominion
On a big 16+, you get the ability to summon a free Jabberslythe, Giant, or Ghorgon but it must be touching any table edge of your choosing. Now, unfortunately while the creature is alive and under the shamans control, he cannot cast, dispel, or attack. Additionally everything the creature takes a wound, the shaman controlling it must take a Toughness test. If this test is failed the caster takes a wound too with no saves allowed. If the caster dies, the creature gets removed too. This is a slightly better version of Transformation of Kadon, but unless it's on a low level caster, it's not really worth it. 2 out of 5, maybe 3 out of 5.
So all in all, what do I think about Lore of the Wilds? Well, its, uh, its there... Yeah, I'll admit, compared to old school Gut Magic or Wood Elf Magic its not the worst thing out there, but when compared to the three other lores Beastmen have access to (Beasts, Shadow, and Death) its absolutely nothing to write home about. It has a few potentially useful spells, like Bestial Surge and Traitor Kin but most of its spells have an equivalent in Lore of Beasts that happens to be quite a bit better. Nowadays, its the worst lore out there but it does have a little potential on low level wizards. If you do want to take this in a Beastmen army, put it on a Bray-Shaman, never on the Great Bray. Oh, and one more little note. As this is an older lore, there are no spell types so there can be some shenanigans you can pull in Skaven fashion.
So, thanks a lot folks, I see a lot of views in my absence and I very much appreciate it. Now that I'm back home I want to try and pump out at least three blogs per week. Keep reading, commenting, and hating Mat Ward.
No comments:
Post a Comment