Wednesday, December 17, 2014

In a Nutshell; The Lore of Shadow

Lore Attribute: Smoke and Mirrors
Once a spell from the Lore of Shadow has been successfully cast and resolved, the caster can chose to swap places with a friendly character of the same troop type anywhere within 18". This attribute is interesting to say the least. I've seen this used to nuke whole hordes or terrifying character with a Shadow-Death tag-team. It's very iffy to say the least, but it can lead to shenanigans for your opponent to deal with. I've never used this attribute at all, but my buddy Will who plays Beastmen swears by it and I'll admit it's proved difficult to deal with in the past. His Shaman pops off a Miasma and then swaps it for a nasty combat lord, screwing my plans all to hell. If you're more subtle then I am (I have an excuse, I play Bretonnia, the anti-subtle army) then this attribute may indeed prove to be helpful. As it is for me though, it's the cherry on a milkshake. Nice, but nothing that would change the enjoyment of my milkshake, which BTW brings all the boys to the yard.

Signature Spell: Melkoth's Mystifying Miasma
A Hex spell with a range of 48" and a base casting value of 5+. The targeted unit has it's Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Initiative, or Movements reduced by a D3 (to a minimum of 1) until the start of the casters next magic phase. It can be boosted to reduce all of the above mentioned stats by a singe roll of a D3 for an increased casting value of 10+. There is no game in which this spell will not be practical. It's the inverse of Wyssan's Wildform and it is most certainly every bit as effective as the latter is. Not much else I can say, but this spell is the fucking bomb. If you don't swap for it, there had better be damned good reason why. I give it a 5 out of 5, it's that damn good.

Spell #1: Steed of Shadows
An Augment spell with a range of 12" and a casting value of 5+ that can only target a friendly character or the caster him/herself. The target immediately makes a move using the Fly special rule as if it were the Remaining Moves sub-phase. I've already bitched about this spell pretty hard, so all I can say is a 2 out of 5 and always swap for Miasma.

Spell #2: The Enfeebling Foe
A Hex spell with a range of 18" and  a casting value of 10+. All models in the targeted unit have their Strength value reduced by D3 (to a minimum of 1) for the duration of the spell, which by the way is a Remains in Play spell. It can be boosted to have a range of 36" and a casting value of 13+. Yeah, this spells is pretty nice to have as if you couldn't tell. This spell can neuter units that you'll be frightened to get into combat with, and thus will almost always prove to be useful. If you roll it up, it's a pretty good spell to have in your back pocket for a quick combat adjustment before things get out of hand. I give it an easy 4 out of 5 and a recommendation not to necessarily swap it unless you're playing an all infantry based Skaven list.

Spell #3: The Withering
Another Hex spell with a range of 18" and a base casting value of 13+. It reduces the targeted unit's Toughness by D3 (to a minimum of 1) and this spell is indeed a Remains in Play spell. It can be boosted to have a range of 36" and a casting value of 16+. What can I say other than it's an inverse of Enfeebling Foe, and it's also always as equally useful as the #2 spell. I give it another 4 out of 5, and I promise to go into a bit more detail in the following spells.

Spell #4: The Penumbral Pendulum
A Direct Damage spell with a range that is equal to 6D6" in a straight line directly from the caster and a base casting value of 13+. It works like a bouncing cannonball, and any unit in the way of the line must pass an Initiative test or suffer a S10 hit with the D3 Multiple Wounds special rule. The boosted version of this spell has a range equal to double whatever is rolled on the 6D6 result for an increased casting value of 18+. I went into a lot of detail about the spell and even got a few comments on it, telling me that my position on this spell was not right. I personally believe that this spell is much more effective than Pit of Shades. It's more accurate, it can crank out tons of damage with D3 Multiple Wounds and a S10 hit. Unless whatever you're targeting has a Ward Save and/or Magic Resistance, you're going to kill whatever you target and it can be used as either a razor-like attack or a precision strike to kill of characters should you need to. Pit of Shades is a Vortex (technically), it is random and unreliable. True, it will kill whatever it hits and gives the target no chance to protect itself, but out of the ten times I cast it, it works probably three or four times out of those ten uses. Pendulum will work every time unless I roll a 1 to-wound with it. It's also got much better range. I'm not disputing the power of the Pit of Shades, but I simply like my spells to actually hit when I cast them. I give this spell a 4 out of 5.

Spell #5: Pit of Shades
A Direct Damage (technically still a Vortex) spell with a range of 24" and a base casting value of 14+. Place the small round template anywhere within 24" of the caster and then scatter it D6". All models beneath the template must pass an Initiative test or it is removed with no saves of any kind allowed. It can be boosted so that you can use the large round template for an increased casting value of 17+ and an increased scatter rate of 2D6". So this spell is like George Foreman's (circa 1970's) right straight. It may not hit, but if it does then god above help you. This spell and other like it really pick on low Initiative armies, like Lizardmen, Ogres, and Greenskins, and making other armies who can take it very, very scary. The good thing about this spell is that no matter what you face across from you, there's probably something that has at least a coin flips Initiative. It's great, I don't like to use it but I won't deny how powerful the spell is. As such, I give it a 4 out of 5.

Spell #6: Okkam's Mindrazor
This spell pretty much epitomizes everything that the Lore of Shadow is in a general sense. It's not how many models it can remove with a single spell, but how it sets up a player to be in such a great tactical position. After all, is it better to be smart or lucky? This spell is an Augment spell with a range of 18" and a casting value of 18+. It's very difficult to get off, but for good reason. What this spell does is it allows the targeted unit to use their Leadership value instead of their Strength (any bonuses from weapons like great weapons or two-handed weapons are ignored) when rolling to-wound with all close combat attacks and lasts until the start of the caster's next magic phase. This spell can be boosted to have a range of 36" for an increased casting value of 21+. Now, this spell is really nice but it got even better per the last FAQ I read on BRB magic. Per the FAQ, this allows the unit to use their General's Leadership value if their within the Inspiring Presence aura when the spell goes off. Meaning, Elves and Undead can now hit at S10. That is very scary. This spell is one of those that will turn even experienced players into fanatics who chuck all their dice to stop this spell at all costs. It would be perfect, if it wasn't so expensive to cast. Even with a Level 4, you'll need at least four dice to cast the base version, and that's just to get it off without worrying about your opponent chucking a scroll or enough dice to shut it down. The risk/reward payoff is huge, so I would seriously suggest keeping this spell should you need it.

Lore of Shadow is perhaps the most versatile and popular lore in the current meta of Warhammer Fantasy, and for good reason! Shadow is a very flexible, and thus I can suggest fielding it in anyway you see fit. You can run the Level 4 in the bunker casting Okkam's and Pit to clear entire regiments, or a Level 1 and/or 2 rocking Miasma or any other of the Hex spells in this lore to debuff this shit out of your enemy. Either way, it works. It works pretty well in all kinds of lists too. Whether you're running an offensive or defensive army, the Lore of Shadow has spells that will help out with your strategy. Again, beware of Vampire Counts when they have a wizard on this lore, because S10 Zombies are fucking terrifying. A lot of people consider this the best lore in the game, and there is plenty of evidence to prove this point. I should also note that Lore of Shadows combos very well with other lores, especially with Dark Magic and Death Magic from my experience. Great lore, if you have access to it, take it.      

No comments:

Post a Comment