Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Bringing Bretonnia Into the Future Part 6

Now we get started with the Virtues, and while I touched on these in two different lists, I'll be going over the ones that fall in between good and bad, and whether or not we'll see this in a new book and/or how can it be modified to be in 8th edition. Keep in mind, a lot of these things have been FAQ'd away, so I will have the current FAQ up to let you know in this review. So let's get started. Oh, and before we begin the stupid double and triple point penalties for taking the Virtues is fucking stupid as shit. Either only allow one of each Virtue per army, or just allow them to take combinations of different ones like the Dwarf runic system. I also think that our Virtue should be independent of our magic item allotment, like the Slann or VC Bloodline abilities.  

Virtue of the Penitent:
 Grants you the Stubborn rule but he can't take magic items, ride anything but a horse, and never join units for 40 points. This virtue is absolute crap, but for 8th edition it can be viable with a bit of re-tooling. Change Stubborn to Unbreakable and ITP, and then either drop the clause regarding the magic items or significantly drop the point cost of this virtue. I think it would be an interesting chaff to use an Unbreakable Paladin, but that's just me. As of now crap, as of next book... who knows?

Virtue of Knightly Temper:
For each successful wound a knight with this virtue makes when on the charge (before saves are rolled), he may make an addition attack. These extra attacks do not generate new attacks. A character with this virtue can't use magic weapons and the virtue costs 40 points. This is a pretty shitty choice and if there was a #6 spot on the worst Virtues list, then this would be it. For significantly cheaper, it would be viable in a list with Paladin walls in your lances, it would be really good. On anything else it just makes no sense. It should be 20 points and allow you to take magic weapons. That bullshit restriction has no place in 8th (and hopefully 9th) edition. Moving on.

Virtue of Heroism:
This is by far the legendary Virtue that probably makes the Bretonnian Lord as feared as he is even in this day and age. Especially with the FAQ in place. The FAQ clearly states that the whole paragraph is to be disregarded and is replaced with "The Knight has the Heroic Killing Blow special rule." Meaning, you can now take a Lord with this and the Sword of Swift Striking. Yes, it is possible to have an ASF Lord with HKB. Goobye Steam Tank, goodbye Iron Daemon, goodbye 6 wound Dwarf Lord. Totally worth the 40 points it costs and it cannot go away or I will cry.

Virtue of Stoicism:
The Knight and any unit he is in re-roll failed break tests for 35 points. I foresee two options with this Virtue, the first option is that it's staying, but the point cost plummet to 15-20 points. The second, it makes the knight and unit he's in Stubborn and staying at that cost. Either way it's not bad now, but there's just so much that's just better in terms of Virtues.

Virtue of the Ideal:
Gives the knight +2 Weapon Skill, +1 Initiative, and +1 Attack. This knight cannot be the general (even if he has the highest Leadership in the army) and any friendly unit (including other knight characters and Peasants using his Leadership) taking any Leadership test within 6" of the knight suffer -1 to their Leadership. This is all for 35 points. If this was a generic character in the Lord/Hero section, I would be okay with this. Otherwise, skip this piece of shit Virtue.

Virtue of the Impetus Knight:
The knight and any mounted unit he's in add +D6" for the first charge they declare (which you roll after you declare the charge) and if the charge is failed then you do not add the extra D6" to the failed charge movement for 35 points. This is one of my favorite Virtues to throw on a Paladin in a Lance of Errant Knights with the banner of Errantry in it. Ladies and gentlemen, the Cruise Missile Lance. Monsters? Gone. Small bands of elite infantry? Gone. Other cavalry? Gone. Giant horde of nasty elite infantry? Severely whittled down. Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling that this will not be showing up in our new book. It just seems like too much of a wonky thing to be showing up in an edition where the armies have been as streamlined as they are.

Virtue of Audacity:
Against an enemies with a higher Strength value than himself (before modifications from weapons, spells, etc.), the knight can re-roll any failed to-hit and to-wound for 30 points. This is kind of a nice Virtue when killy close combat characters are starting to creep back into popularity. At least they are in my meta. My friend Art runs this on a Paladin, and I've had it tear my Old-Blood to pieces in a challenge (he also had the Gromil Great Helm and another nasty magic weapon). I think it's cool and fluffy, but it needs to be much cheaper because it's so damned situational. I think it'd be reasonable at 15 points.

Virtue of Duty:
Cannot be taken by the army's General, and it makes the user generate an automatic +1 bonus in combat resolution if the army's General is still alive. For 30 points, this is perhaps the best way to help Bretonnians in the grind. That's why it's been FAQ'd away. Yup, according to GW, this Virtue no longer exists. Sigh, that would have been nice to know when I put it on my favorite Virtues list!

Virtue of the Joust:
The Knight may re-roll failed rolls when charging and using a lance (or magical lance) for 25 points. If this allowed re-rolls for hitting and wounding when using a lance, I'd be all over this. As it is, it's overpriced, but I would put good money that this will be in the new book. Lances are the premiere weapon of Bretonnia, it only makes sense to have them specialize in using these weapons.Needs to be dumped in price and do a bit more. I feel like a damned broken record.

Virtue of Confidence:
The knight must always issue and accept challenges and gets to re-roll all failed to-hits and to-wound for 20 points. Again, like Virtue of the Joust, I like the fluff aspect of this Virtue and considering that smart opponents will challenge you with superior combat Lords and then makes your entire unit loose the blessing unless you feed him you best combat tool. For this, make it expensive and make it turn the character into a BEAST in challenges. Give him extra attacks, ASF, and maybe Hatred. Then just jack up the price. I'd be all over this Virtue if that happened.

Virtue of Noble Disdain:
The Knight with this Virtue hates all enemies using missile weapons, this also includes war machine crews. In addition, the unit that this knight joins never takes Panic tests caused by taking 25% casualties via everything that's not close combat (shooting, magic, etc.). This is all for 20 points. My buddy Art loves putting a Paladin on a Royal Pegasus with this Virtue as a super good artillery killer and this thing can wreck the flanks of High Elf bowmen, or Dark Elf Dark Shards. I, I think it's interesting and again very fluffy and fits in with the theme, but it needs to be dropped very much in point costs. I think 10-15 points would be a fair cost for this Virtue in a newer book.

Virtue of Purity:
The knight with this Virtue starts the game with the Blessing of the Lady, even if the army did not pray. The Ward Save is also always 5+ regardless of whatever Strength value the attacker is hitting you with for a cost of 20 points. First off, you'd have to be high, drunk, and have had a lobotomy to not pray as a Bretonnian player. Second, it's not worth being a virgin for a force field that only protects you 33% of the time. If the point cost were jacked up a bit and it gave you a permanent Blessing save of 2+, then I might like this Virtue a lot. Still not worth being a virgin for though. I can see it in a new book, but if ain't there, I won't be shedding no tears.

Virtue of Discipline:
Honestly, I don't think that this Virtue exists anymore due to a past FAQ. Look it up, because it makes no sense in 8th edition context. Either way, I've never used it because of this. Though drop a comment below to tell me if I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to handle my own army.

Virtue of Empathy:
It allows the unit to be fielded on foot. In addition, he can lend his Leadership to Peasant's within 12" of him instead of the usual 6". For 10 points, I think it's kind of okay. I bet this will show up in a new book, and it is kind of fun to run a Grail Knight Paladin in a unit of Battle Pilgrims. It's fluffy and fun, but I'm just not a big fan is all. I think if it made Peasants Stubborn, then it would make Bretonnia a lot better at competing in our worst aspect, infantry.

So that's all the virtues and we're almost done with the series so I can get on with some more tactica materials and magical lores reviews that seem to have more views that anything else, so I'll catch all you guys later.               

No comments:

Post a Comment